Monday, October 20, 2014

Dairy-free, egg-free, but not delicious-free pumpkin pie!

 This week didn’t start off real well, but I plan to get back on track quickly! I didn’t exercise this morning because I need time to make my cabbage salad. I usually make it the night before, but I barely got anything done yesterday since I was exhausted from staying out till 4:00am the night before. Getting enough sleep is really important for health, so I really should try to avoid all night partying (>.<)
I ate a good breakfast this morning, and was actually too full to eat my soy yogurt. Unfortunately, today’s school lunch had all three of the foods I’m trying to avoid – gluten in the shell pasta and bread, plus dairy and egg in a small piece of cheesecake.

 School lunch bread - white fluff

There was also some sausage in the soup, which may be free of gluten, dairy, and egg, but definitely has artificial preservatives or other additives that aren’t natural and aren’t good for our bodies.
However, I did this workout in the evening, and ate a super healthy and delicious dinner. Getting on track!

Last week I tried a new recipe that I’m really excited about and would love to share! (Sorry, forgot to take pictures). I still haven’t successfully made a gluten-free pie crust, but here’s a recipe for dairy-free and egg-free pumpkin pie that works and is oh so very yummy! Basically, it’s the Libby’s pumpkin pie recipe, but I’ve substituted coconut milk for evaporated milk and 2 Tbsp of chia seeds per egg.
A quick note first - If you’ve never tried chia seeds before, they’re pretty interesting. They look a bit like poppy seeds, have a nice nutty flavor, and contain lots of protein, fiber, and omega-3. But one of the coolest things about chia seeds is their amazing ability to absorb moisture and become gel-like in consistency. They’re great for thickening smoothies or soups, or for making pudding or jelly. Beware, they’re also amazing at sticking in your teeth!
Ok, it’s pie time!
 
Dairy-free egg-free pumpkin pie:

Ingredients
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I often only use a half or even a third of this for myself & Kelsi, but people expecting a traditional pumpkin pie would probably prefer all the sweetness!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 tablespoons chia seeds (replaces 2 eggs)
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) coconut milk (replaces 12 fl. oz. evaporated milk)
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Directions:
1. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, and chia seeds in small bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in coconut milk. Let sit for 30 to allow chia seeds to expand and provide firmness.
2. Stir well to redistribute chia seeds and pour into pie shell.
3. Bake in preheated 425 F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before serving. It should be firmer than pudding, but won't be as firm as a traditional pumpkin pie. Still able to be picked up and eaten by hand if you want!

Suspicious that it won't taste good? Just ask my guinea pig, Kelsi! Or try it and enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right now I'm using some that my mom brought when she visited this summer, but you can order them from amazon.jp.

      Delete